Quitman County was created from parts of Randolph and Stewart counties in 1858. The county was named for General John A. Quitman, a leader in the Mexican War, once Governor of Mississippi, and an avid spokesman for states rights.
The county's only incorporated municipality is Georgetown, the county seat. It was named for the area in Washington, D.C. It was originally called Tobanana after a nearby creek. An earlier fortified settlement, believed to have been built by prehistoric Indians, was located where Cool Branch flows into the Chattahoochee River.Much of that area--indeed all of Quitman's western border--is now beneath the waters of Lake Walter F. George, an impoundment on the Chattahoochee River.
Quitman County shares the Lake Walter F. George Wildlife Management Area with Clay County to the south.
The Quitman County Jail is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Harrison-Guerry-Brannon-Crawford Family Cemetery has many distinguished Georgians buried in it.
City of Georgetown
Georgetown, the county seat for Quitman County, was incorporated December 9, 1859. The city was named for the historic community in Washington, D.C. Georgetown was originally called "Tobanana" after a nearby creek.
Georgetown is the county's only incorporated municipality. The Quitman County Jail, with 12" thick brick walls, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Another historical city landmark is the Harrison-Brannon-McKenzie antebellum cottage. U.S. 82 is the major highway that runs through Georgetown. This southwest Georgia city is bordered on the west by Lake George, across the bridge from Eufaula, Alabama.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Georgetown had a population of 973 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 6.5%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.